1.10.09

Getting settled...

'ello,
Today is day three in the UK, and I'm already feeling more at home. My room is pretty much all set up, as you can see below...it originally was really sad and icky and cell-feeling, but I did some rearranging, unpacking and decorating, and things are looking up.




(My room from the doorway) (My bed, complete w/hippo and pictures of loved ones)


(I have my own sink but not my own bathroom)
The view from my window! The bookcase, which is not being used for many books at present. P.S. Look who made it to England!



(My "chill out" corner with bangin' quilt and Albie the bear, a gift from my sister)



(Desk. Meh.)

The foray of the day was into the city centre to take care of several odds and ends:
1) British cell phone : check.
2) British bank account: fail. I got too confused and intimidated by how the queue forms that I just sort of sputtered around in there for a moment and turned right back around.
3) Post office: accidental check. Many postcards are going out soon...if you want one, let me know and give me your address, please and thank you.
4) Posters: sort of check. I found my way to a poster store, but since the posters there were about 35 american dollas, i had to improvise. Instead, I bought some sheets of their wrapping paper, which is actually really nice paper with fun designs, and made that work as posters. You can see it if you enlarge the photos above, I think.
5) Drugstore: check. I no longer am living off of travel sized toothpaste, shampoo, etc. Little triumphs.

Oh, and I was wandering the streets, looking for lunch and came upon this place, which I figured was a safe bet:

and ate this:



It was delicious.


I am really trying not to go into any U.S.-based stores/restaurants, which are everywhere. There's one street in particular that has almost all in a row, a Gap, Burger King, KFC, McDonalds, Starbucks and Borders...and it's not that I especially miss any of these places/even went there when I lived in the US, it's just more of a comfort/familiarity thing. I'll give it a couple weeks and maybe let myself wander in for some chicken nuggets eventually.
Other odds and ends:
  • As you know, in England you drive on the left. I was trying to figure out if I was supposed to walk on the other side of the sidewalk, as well, and learned that in fact, people just walk wherever the hell they want. Middle, zigzag, left, right, and you better get out of their way because
  • They all move so fast. Or maybe in my new kid on the block haze, I'm just moving incredibly slowly. I'm sure it's like freshman year where I just have "I'm not from here" written all over my face and how I conduct myself.
  • I have met very few actual British people. I think this is in part due to the fact that most people I've met are postgraduate (aka, grad) students like me, and 63% of Oxford's postgrad students are international students. So far, I've met people from South Korea, India, China, Japan, Norway, Cameroon, Lithuania, Greece, Taiwan, Australia, plus several Americans. The few English people I've met are either employees of the University or in the local shops. It's interesting, and I wonder whether it will continue once the term starts.
  • I finally met all the other people on my floor! It was funny because for the past few days I hadn't met anyone and then tonight I met everyone at once. We have a truly international hallway--my hallmates include a guy from S. Korea who's working on his D.Phil in Sociology (and is interested in Women's Studies and policy, holler); a girl from Japan studying education; a girl from China studying education; and a guy from India studying...I forget what. Apparently my college is very popular among the Master's of Ed students because their department is right around the corner. I have yet to meet any fellow Women's Studies students, but from what I hear from other folks, many of them are American as well.

Okay, that's all I've got. Write me lovely comments because there are still many moments when I'm terribly homesick for all of you.

Xoxoxoxoxo and look out for those postcards,

Amanda



s

2 comments:

  1. We tried to have the mist in your honor tonight but apparently it is $6 at the liquor store near us? Good lord its like apple juice why is it that much?! And as Lame/Drain went to the store and is painfully cheap... we have no mist. In other news, I had a terrible Wednesday night and you weren't here to bitch to about it. I will save it for another time though. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all professional pedestrians, we'll fekkin run you over. I tailgate people on foot and make exaggerated pantomime motions about just how slow they're making me walk.

    Stay well away from Cornmarket, but go into the Covered Market. There are a few cafes in there that do decent / cheap food. By you, there's Little Clarendon Street and Jericho which hails the best restaurant in Oxford, Al Shami.

    Buy your books at Blackwell's, across from the Sheldonian. The Norrington Room is epic.

    Lastly, British people hide out in the pubs. Head out tonight c. 6pm for a pint of something chunky and you'll be infested with them.

    ReplyDelete